10 March 2014
Ever wondered how to make your Toilet gleam without buying a new one? Or how to remove the black residue, most people mistake this for mold, and rust from your Shower Head and Silicone Sealant? Or perhaps you’re constantly battling against water marks / streaks on your bathroom Mirror, Shower Screen & Tiles?
Well worry and battle on no more! With our (The Passmore Group*) cleaning tips, or little gems of industry knowledge as we like to call them, we will have your bathroom looking brand new in no time! And here’s the best bit… We promise all our tips will make your job easier, pocket you the cost of specialty cleansers and without a shadow of a doubt do a better job!
Gem 1) Make your Toilet Shine:
Cleaning the toilet probably sits at the top of the “cleaning jobs I despise”… and rightly so. It’s an effort, not particularly pleasant and sometimes, apart from a pleasant smell, your efforts often just aren’t visible. But what if I told you there were 3 different solutions to cleaning the toilet that would a) reduce time spent cleaning and b) be cheaper than using domestic cleaning products… intrigued? Then read on:
1. Drop 2 antacid tablets or 1 denture tablet containing baking soda into the bowl, let them dissolve for about 20 minutes, then scrub the bowl with a toilet brush. A vitamin C tablet will do the trick as well.
2. Grab a bottle of mouthwash from the medicine cabinet and pour ¼ cup into the bowl. After about half an hour, scrub the bowl with a toilet brush and flush.
3. Empty a can of cola into the bowl and let sit for 30–60 minutes before scrubbing and flushing.
Gem 2) Removing Black Residue on Shower Heads & Silicone Sealant:
In most homes the Shower Head gets its fair share of use. As a result calcium and minerals will start to build up, especially if you’ve got lots of those elements in your local water supply, leaving black residue around the water filters and in some cases rust. Removing this type of residue build can be difficult, here we offer you a natural and cost effective way to get it nice and clean:
1. Slightly warm a generous amount vinegar on the stove top until Luke warm.
2. Fill a carrier bag with enough of the Luke warm white vinegar to allow the shower head to float and not touch the bottom of the bag.
3. Immerse the shower head in the bag of warm vinegar and tie the handles around the head for support and allow it to soak until you see that the mineral deposits have dissipated.
4. Once dissipated remove the bag and run warm water through the shower head brushing any spots that may have been left behind with an old toothbrush.
Cleaning Silicone Sealant, whether around the edge of the bath or shower tray, is similarly just as easy. Simply dilute some bleach, dab some cotton wool into the diluted bleach and apply directly onto the silicone, pressing the cotton wool into the silicone and leave for 1 – 2 hours.
Gem 3) Water Marks:
Do you ever find yourself battling against water marks / streaks on your bathroom Mirror, Shower Screen and Tiles? If the answer to that question is YES then try out following tips:
Firstly you will need some Luke warm water and an old cloth. Pour a generous amount of vinegar into the water and dampen the cloth. Rinse the cloth and proceed to wipe the area you wish to clean. Do not allow the area to dry naturally but instead dry with an old newspaper.
Tried It? Impressed? Then let us know!
The Passmore Group* is a specialist Leeds based Home Improvements company. Under the Passmore banner are 3 brands: MoreBathrooms; bathrooms by design, MoreAbility; complete bathroom solutions and MoreBuild; complete building solutions.